Beverley is a vibrant rural community with a population of 1700. Located in the western central Wheatbelt region of Western Australia, Beverley is less than 140km east of Perth. The Shire is home of a highly productive broad acre farming industry with a smaller diversified agricultural base, such as perennial horticulture, also finding a home here.
The town of Beverley provides a range of commercial, recreational and social services for residents and visitors alike. The main street of Beverley provides all the goods and services that are vital to a country town.
The town is proud of its top class health facilities boasting a district hospital, medical centre with several full time doctors and providing a large array of specialist services, a frail aged lodge and a retirement village. Government services, such as Centrelink and Medicare can be accessed through the Beverley Community Resource Centre.
If you are looking for a place to build, good quality building blocks are available in the town, with deep sewer available in some areas. The town is served by the Goldfields Water Supply Scheme and electricity and telephone are available to most areas of the townsite.
Beverley has football, cricket, netball, tennis, bowls and golf clubs amongst others. There is also a 50m long swimming pool open November to April.
The township of Beverley is located 138km southeast of the Western Australian capital city of Perth. Located on the Great Southern Highway, the town is within an easy one and a half hours' drive of Perth via Brookton Highway & Westdale Road from Perth's southern suburbs and Great Eastern & Great Southern Highways from the northern areas of the city.
Beverley's history, attractiveness and location makes it a must see for a day trip from Perth. A suggestion is to do the 'round trip' and travel to Beverley via the Brookton Highway and then travel home again through York and Mundaring. There are even a number of accommodation options for those wishing to stay a little longer.
The history of the Beverley district goes back to around 1831, only two years after European settlement of Western Australia. In this year, the first land grants were issued, with the name 'Beverley' having been attributed to Colonial Surgeon Charles Simmons, who was born in Beverley, Yorkshire in the United Kingdom and was one of the first landowners in the district.
Clearing of land for farming began in earnest in the 1860's and 1870's. However, it took until the 1950's and the advent of mechanised clearing to open up the last parts of the current farming area. Indeed, clearing of the native bushland to allow for farming continued until the 1970's.