A Short Walking Tour of Beverley
This walking tour starts at the Dead Finish Museum and will take you approximately 1 hour. See the map below or click here. It is a relatively easy walk and will take you past all the local shops, pubs and cafes, so don’t forget to pop in and say hello if you need a break, or a refreshment.
Enjoy the sights of Beverley!
1.Dead Finish Museum:
Built in 1872 this old hotel is now the Dead Finish Museum. Originally called the Wheatsheaf Inn the building was the old centre of Beverley.
2.The old fire station:
This Fire Station replaced the previous station (located at the #)and was built in 1948 at a cost of £3700.
3.Beverley Town Hall:
The Town Hall was built in art deco style in 1938 and designed by architect William G Bennet. It originally contained a moving picture garden, a lesser hall and a theatre in the main hall.
4.Old Beverley School:
This school was built in 1894 and was designed by architect George Temple Poole. It operated as a school until 1950.
5.Beverley Post Office:
The Post Office was built in 1910 for a cost of £1890. Designed in Federation Free style, the manual telephone switchboard was located here until automated in the 1950s.
6.The Beverley Railway Station:
The railway came to Beverley in 1886 when the town become the terminus of the State Government from Perth via York. Passengers had to stay overnight in Beverley to catch the connecting train which lead to the building of a number of hotels. The railway station was closed in 1984 and it was allowed to fall into disrepair. In 2006, after restoration by the community and the council, it was reopened as the Station Art Gallery.
7.The Gillespie’s Store:
The first general store was built by the Edwards family in 1898.
8.The Beverley Hospital:
The original hospital was built in 1898 but left unused for nearly 10 years. It was eventually opened due to pressure from town and district residents. A maternity ward was added in 1924.
A maternity home and the surgery of Dr Cullen. It is the current Beverley Medical Practice.
Originally built in 1886, and rebuilt in 1908 after a fire in the dining room. This old pub used to have typical verandahs of the time but they were removed as deemed a traffic hazard in the 1960s.
Old Police Station and Cottages:
Built in 1910 in Federation classical style. Restored in 2010 as two houses by the National Trust.
12.The Court House:
Built in 1897 and last used as a court house in 1990
13.Old Municipal Council Chambers:
Operated from 1898 to 1913. The building then became the original fire station.
14.The Union Bank:
Built in 1907 in the Federation Free classical style. The verandahs were added between 1910 and 1920.
15.White Hart Hotel:
Built in 1904 this old hotel used to have a second story which was removed in 1955.
One of the first terraces of shops built in Beverley in 1886.
17.Centenary of Federation Plaza:
Built in 2001, there are many old photographs on display.
The Beverley Times was printed in the shop on the corner from 1905 to 1977. The original printing press is on display in the Dead Finish Museum garden.
19.The Beverley Hotel:
Originally built in 1886 as the Railway Hotel. The façade was rebuilt and extended in 1938 in art deco style to match the Town Hall. There are still many of the 1880-1890 features inside.
These rooms were built around 1936 in the classic West Australian design of the period.
Originally built in 1898 and restored in 2006, this house features the original rafters cut from unmilled tree trunks.
This futuristic building was designed by American architect Buckminister Fuller. Built in 1968, it is one of two left in Australia.
23.The Beverley Masonic Hall:
This Masonic Hall has been in constant use since being built in 1909. The hall was extended in 1926.
Other interesting facts: The Railway Cutting. Located alongside the Beverley Hospital, this stretch of the original railway built in 1886 was the steepest gradient on the line from York to Albany and restricted the size of trains the could be used due to the hard pull up from the Beverley Station. The cutting was made deeper in 1926 to allow for larger trains to be used on the line, and in the process John Street railway crossing was lowered allowing the road to be flat.